Heritage Circuit of Goa
Table of Content
The Basilica of Bom Jesus
It is one of the oldest churches in Goa, as well as in India, The Basilica of Bom Jesus or Borea Jezuchi Bajilika (Portuguese: Basílica do Bom Jesus) is located in old Goa and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The basilica holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier.
Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount
Another important chapel, The Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount is situated on top of the hill behind the St. Cajetan Church. The chapel was built in 1510 by Alfonso de Albuquerque after his victory over the Goan Muslim ruler Yusuf Shah and was renovated in 2001.
Church & Convent of St. Monica
Among the famous churches of Goa, The Church & Convent of St. Monica is among the most beautiful. It is built in typical Goan style of architecture. The Church and Convent of St. Monica is a huge three storied structure, made in laterite. It was built in the year 1627.
British Cemetery, Dona Paula
The British cemetery is located in the Dona Paula and in the immediate neighbourhood of the Cabo Raj Niwas. The tombs are dedicated to the British who died in Goa in the 19th century. The earliest tomb here is dated to December 19, 1808. The historic British cemetery was built to serve the British contingent stationed in Portuguese Goa from 1799 to 1813.
Mangesh temple is situated on the Panaji-Ponda road. Mangesh (Siva) is the Presiding deity here. This temple was originally in Kushasthali which was destroyed in 1543. The Lingam was shifted to the present location to Mangeshi in Priol.
There is a Nandi in front of the main deity. There is also a shrine dedicated to Kala Bhairava near the entrance of the temple. One has to climb a few steps to reach the temple. The temple has a beautiful tank and is surrounded by lot of greenery. This 400 year old temple attracts many pilgrims and is situated in serene surroundings.
Long before the Portuguese occupation this fort stood testimony to a fierce battle between Portuguese and Mughals. In 1683, Prince Akbar joined the forces of Marathas and made this place as their base camp. Eventually the Portuguese recovered the spot back from the Marathas but after much bloodshed which led to strengthening of the site which eventually led to the fort being built to its present form in 1717.
Cabo de Rama Fort
Cabo de Rama Fort is one of the oldest forts in Goa, built much before the arrival of the Portuguese. Besides its historical significance it has a mythological legend also attached to it. It is said that Lord Rama accompanied by his wife Sita took refuge here during their exile period. This ancient fortress is located in the Canacona district of Goa.
The original fort structure was Hindu constructed around 1763 by Hindu warriors; subsequently it was captured by Portuguese after defeating the Raja (King) of Soonda and renovated subsequently.
Reis Magos Fort
The Reis Magos fort is another fort built by the Portuguese rulers’ for defence purposes & exhibits a fine example of Goan architecture. Located on the northern bank of the Mandovi River it was originally built by Sultan Adil Shah. It was finally annexed by the Portuguese in 1760.
Naroa Fort is located on Island of Divar. The island also known as the prehistoric Dipavatiwas a well-known holy place for the Hindus till the Portuguese took over the island.
Divar Island is most famously known for the Saptakoteshwar temple. In 1664 Shivaji constructed this temple. The temple is built typically on the Goan architecture. Only the lamp tower of this temple has a distinct design.